This is an excellent example of the role the Elder Care Consultant from Elder Caring Inc. can play. As an adult, balancing work, family, and elder care can become a challenge whether your parent lives next door or out of town or province. One solution is to hire an Elder Care Consultant. An Elder Care […]

Memory does change with age but it is not true that all memory declines with age. It depends on the memory type and the situation of the individual. The following are indications that further evaluation by a professional and attending physician should to be considered: Unable to balance a checkbook Finding misplaced items in inappropriate […]

Look for changes in behaviour that show neglect or difficulty completing basic tasks. Below are some warning signs, which may suggest that an elder needs professional care: Problems completing tasks involved in day-to-day living such as eating, walking, dressing, cooking or taking medications as directed by a doctor. Infrequent bathing, dirty clothes, poor dental care. […]

Defining the right time is difficult. The answer depends on each person’s unique needs and circumstances. Remember to always talk to the person’s doctor to determine when or if nursing home placement is appropriate. Here are some situations to be aware of when deciding if the time is right to enter a nursing home: An […]

Perhaps, depending on whether you qualify for the Disability Tax Credit. If you qualify for the Disability Tax Credit, these fees may be deducted as Attendant Care Expenses or Medical Expenses Tax Credit. Your Personal Support Worker has to be at least 18 years old and not your spouse.

The Caregiver Tax Credit is available to your daughter if she (alone or jointly) provided home care for you, provided you are 65 or older. If your daughter doesn’t live with you, she may be able to deduct the expenses as Medical Expenses Tax Credit. For more information, please contact your financial advisor.

Are you providing caregiving assistance to your parent?  If you are, you may be eligible for a tax credit. Scenario 1: You and your parent live under the same roof- they are on a limited income and you provide assistance with: grocery shopping, meal preparation, transportation to doctor’s appointments as well as some assistance with […]

When we were teenagers and our parents allowed us to take the car, they worried about us and didn’t go to sleep until they heard the garage door open and the front door close. Now, some 30, 40 or 50 years later, the tables have turned and we the children are concerned about our parents’ […]

Yes, the Canadian Government offers several programs to help Seniors through the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Home Adaptations for Seniors Independence Program (HASI) This program helps homeowners and landlords pay for minor home adaptations to extend the time low-income seniors can live in their own homes independently. Who is eligible? Homeowners and landlords may […]

The Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP) for Persons with Disabilities offers financial assistance to homeowners and landlords to undertake accessibility work to modify dwellings occupied or intended for occupancy by low-income persons with disabilities. Who is eligible? Homeowners may apply if: the value of their house is below a specified figure, and their household income […]