Should There Be A Senior’s Aid Society?

September 13, 2012:
There is a helpline for seniors, and service is available there in 150 languages. It’s toll-free. 1-866-299-1011. Of course, not every senior will be able to call for the advice. There is no requirement to report Elder Abuse to anyone, as there is for child abuse. But sometimes, action is required. So, when should you report a suspected case of Older Adult Abuse?

From the ONPEA website:
When should I report a suspected case of older adult abuse?
There are four different circumstances needing consideration when deciding whether or not to speak to someone about suspicions of abuse:

(1)If the situation is an emergency and you believe that the person for whom you are concerned is at risk, call “911.”

(2)If you suspect an older adult is being abused but is not at risk of imminent harm, you should speak to that person. If your suspicions are confirmed you can then provide them with information regarding their rights or individuals/agencies who can assist them. If they are not ready to address the situation, offer your personal support until they are ready to take action.

(3)If the older adult does not have the capacity to understand their situation, phone the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (OPGT) at
416-327-6348 or Toll-free at 1-800-366 0335. The OPGT will conduct an investigation.

(4)The only instance where reporting of suspected abuse of an older adult is mandatory is if that person resides in a Nursing Home, Home for the Aged or Charitable Home for the Aged (i.e., Long-Term Care Homes). When abuse is suspected in a Long-Term Care Home, everyone, with the exception of residents themselves (who have a choice in the matter), is required to report to the Ministry of Long-Term Care at 1-866-434-0144

For more information, please see:

Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE) ; Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (OPGT) Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO); Government of Ontario (Substitute Decisions Act, Health Care Consent Act, Long-Term Care Act, Nursing Homes Act, Charitable Institutions Act, Homes for the Aged and Rest Homes Act and Tenant Protection Act).
by Elder Caring’s guest blogger, Pauline Morris

Leave a reply