Caregivers: Income Tax Time

We all know about double decker sandwiches and being part of the sandwich generation. Caring for parents can be costly, emotionally, physically and financially. The government has made various forms of assistance available to caregivers. Line 315- Caregiver amount: ‘If, at any time in 2014, you (either alone or with another person) maintained a dwelling where you and one or more of your dependents lived, you may be able to claim a maximum amount of $4,530 ($6,588 if he or she is eligible for the family caregiver amount for each dependent).’ ‘If the dependent is your spouse, parent or grandparent, they have to have been born in 1949 or earlier.

This is a non-refundable tax credit, which means they can reduce the amount of federal or provincial tax an individual may owe, but it is not a cash benefit. You can claim this amount if the above information applies to you, line 315 of federal Schedule 1 is filled out. There is a video on line
and an easy to follow questionnaire regarding eligibility for the Family caregiver tax credit.

It might also be helpful to know that if someone is receiving services from the Community Care Access Centre (CCAC), any additionally purchased in home Personal Support Work (PSW) hours can be tax exempt according to the Canada Revenue Agency.

As well, services provided by a Registered Social Worker can be claimed as a medical expense tax deduction for income tax filing purposes.
In other words, Registered Social Workers are now authorized ‘medical practitioners’ for the purpose of claiming medical expenses. Our geriatric care services, when completed by one of our registered social workers, are now tax deductible.

To access the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) chart list of professions in each province and territory that are authorized, click on the following link:

Leave a reply