What Type of Paid Care Provider Do I Require?

May 19, 2011; By: Audrey Miller
All About Estates

Further to my previous blogs on caregiving (emotional and physical) costs, this blog focuses on understanding the different responsibilities of care providers that may be needed.

Questions to consider:
What type of care is required? Do I need a:
Registered Nurse: Their typical duties include:
– Assess patients to identify appropriate nursing interventions
– Administer medications and treatments as prescribed by a physician or according to establish policies and protocols
– Monitor, assess, address, document and report symptoms and changes in patients’ conditions
– Operate or monitor medical apparatus or equipment
– assist in surgery and other medical procedures
Registered Practical Nurse: Their typical duties include:
– RPNs assess clients’ conditions and chart progress.
– Wound care including changing dressings and give medications.
– They care for clients as disease progresses and through the palliative stages.
Personal Support Worker: Their typical duties include:
– Observes and reports clinical and treatment information, behavioral changes
– Assists with range of motion exercises and other rehabilitative measures
– Takes and records blood pressure, temperature, pulse, respiration, body weight and height
– Assists with ambulating and mobilization of patient
– Assists with personal hygiene
– Assists with meal preparation, grocery shopping, dietary planning, food and fluid intake
Companion: Their typical duties include:
– Non medical assistance
– Assists with meal preparation, shopping, pet care, letter writing
– Providing conversation
Different levels of care may be needed at different times throughout the caregiving journey.
Lessons learned: Know what you need in order to find the right provider for you and your care recipient.

Leave a reply